Monday, April 24, 2006

Veil dancer


Fluidity of motion or symbol of cultural oppression.

I'll dance with veils if a song I love seems suitable.
I often use veils if I'm unsure of the audience's ability or comfort level of staying focused on my body for the entire time I dance.

The beautiful silk offers a different focal point, a bigger more dramatic dynamic, but also poses a double entendre.

I can consider it a display of air swirling and making graceful sweeps, a dance partner who may get caught on my head but who will never trod upon my bare feet, but I teach my students the necessity of remembering there are those women without the luxury of removing their veils.

With this in mind I'll pretend I have wings.

Powered by Blogger

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico, United States

This is the time and the record of the time. I'll avoid definition as much as humanly possible. We can never step in the same river twice. Cold mud and fast currents and rocks and roots entangle, hot and fecund in the summer and frozen slow in the winter. Subject to change. I dream of Paradise.