Monday, March 20, 2006

Paisley Girl

St. Patty's Day dance, green and blue and purple beads.

I danced first although I had been signed up as last on the list, which makes for a late late show. Nine dancers means it goes until eleven at night, and I had to get S from the library at 10. Easy enough to switch with another dancer, but perhaps-perceived cattiness rankles. I'm uninterested in confrontation.

I whipped out my impromptu song and drum solo, got the crowd clapping, even saw some smiles.

Audiences here are funny; people will sit stock-still and stare, unsmiling, and later approach and tell me I'm enjoyable and fun to watch. Or I get questions like, "You don't have any back problems, do you?" and "So how many years does it take to learn how to do that?"

I've read, and felt, that the rush of performance lowers inhibitions as much as a couple drinks of alcohol, so I never know what's going to come out of my mouth. I get sassy, and try best to edit it, but sometimes I laugh and tell people I just made it up as I went along.

But that's not entirely untrue, not only because it's an impromptu, not a choreographed performance, but also because it's like figure drawing, first you have to memorize the anatomy, and then forget it.

Louis Armstrong said he practiced scales all day long, but when he got up on stage, he'd forget all that shit and just blow. Words to live by.

The most rewarding part of my performance came at the end, as I swept down the ramp, a little girl crawled in through the bars in front of me, and flung her arms open for a hug. I happily obliged, folding her up for a giggling moment in my veil.

The adoration of children, her smile alone, is the reason I truly love to dance in public venues.

A dancer I very much respect told me it was the best she'd seen me dance, and that meant a lot to me.

Many of my students came, and I also encountered one former student from the first class I taught, three years ago. I recognized her, and approached her with compliments after she performed with her troupe. She immediately apologized for not continuing with my classes but I waved her apology away and told her the only important thing is that she keep dancing. And then it was easy.

I don't understand the jealous possession some instructors have for their students.

In fact I like to recommend future instructors to my students.
Go, learn, dance.

I wore this sparkly paisley costume, paired with a gold-green veil. White sheer skirt over gold harem pants. I created this beaded strappy thing out of a $10 shirt I found at the second-hand shop. Recycled "clothing" has definite merits. Lined with sueded silk and it's a pleasure to wear.

Powered by Blogger

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico, United States

This is the time and the record of the time. I'll avoid definition as much as humanly possible. We can never step in the same river twice. Cold mud and fast currents and rocks and roots entangle, hot and fecund in the summer and frozen slow in the winter. Subject to change. I dream of Paradise.